1.16.2011

Take nothing for granted

By Puckhound
Hockey Hounds Universe editor

I must admit, I've gotten lazy over the past few seasons in doing a certain aspect of my prep work before NHL teams visit Hockey Bay. Instead, I relied on my instincts, past experiences and eyesight in determining where teams are staying.

Last Wednesday, with the Washington Capitals in town, I had to have a slice of humble pie for breakfast. After staying at the same hotel for as long as I've been hounding down here in Hockey Bay, the Capitals pulled the old switcheroo and moved to a different hotel.

To drop a dime, I wasn't alone in my mistaken beliefs. Some of Hockey Bay's best hounds, as well as some novice hockey dealers, were also standing outside the hotel when a security guard told us the Capitals weren't staying there.

At first, we didn't believe him, as he tried that approach last season just as a player walked out of the hotel. Just in case he was telling the truth, though, I started the round of phone calls seeking out the team. Success came on the last call of the usual suspects.

Soon enough, we were at the right place, fortunately for us, at the right time. It wasn't long before Capitals players headed out for the morning skate.

The lesson learned: It always pays to do your homework.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the haul.

    Good to see the effort didn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haul, I'm afraid, would be a pretty generous word. Adequate is more suitable.

    ReplyDelete