1.10.2011

It's as easy as E.C.H.L.

By Moody
Hockey Hounds Universe senior correspondent

This season, I have changed my hounding focus to show my "Hockey Purist" side. I am a fan of the NHL, but will always be a fan of the lower ranks first. I would take a solid day hounding the East Coast Hockey League or juniors over an NHL team without batting an eye. However, here in Florida, those opportunities are far and few between.

Last week, I was lucky enough to hound the reigning ECHL champs, the Cincinnati Cyclones.

The team sheet (shown above) is my way of cheating a bit. I use these to find out who the player is and then rifle through my photos to get their individual signatures:

Marc Cheverie, Denver University standout and Florida Panthers draft pick


Barry Eghoetz, captain of the Cyclones, receiving the Kelly Cup

Kevin Roeder, a former Miami (Ohio) standout, on a pretty sweet celebration photo.

Kevin liked the photo so much, he asked me to send him a copy and gave me his e-mail address. Before he signed it, he took it around to several of the other guys to show it off.

Because I have hounded the Florida Everblades a few times this year, I just kind of snagged a few as they passed. I wasn't really looking to pile up:

Ross Carlson signed this Everblades shot


Jared Staal (yes, another Staal brother) signed this Everblades shot as well as one showing him with the American Hockey League's Charlotte Checkers.

It is entirely too easy to hound these guys. Typically, there are no other hounds around and you will never find a dealer. But you will see some great draft picks, international stars and college/junior standouts.

1 comment:

  1. Some neat signatures on that team sheet. Not like the scribbles a lot of NHLers pawn off as autographs these days.

    A great item for the collection.

    ReplyDelete