10.18.2010

Change in plans pays off

By Keith
Hockey Hounds Universe correspondent

Being three hours away from an NHL city (Nashville), my wife and I have to plan well in advance as to which teams we will be able to hound.

The first home game of the season was against the Anaheim Ducks who have, in the past, stayed in a hotel that was incredibly unfriendly toward fans and auto seekers. Because of that, we elected to sleep in and drive up just before game time and give only a half-hearted effort to our hounding—despite my wanting to snag a few Teemu Selanne signatures during what is most likely his last season.

But after a good friend (a Nashville local) texted the news that the Ducks were staying at a much friendlier hotel, we hit Interstate 40 within minutes. Getting positioned outside the hotel around 3:30, our efforts were rewarded.

We were able to get Selanne to sign two Jets pucks and a single Ducks puck, Ryan Getzlaf on a Ducks puck, Bobby Ryan and rookie Cam Fowler on USA pucks, Jonas Hiller on a Ducks puck and George Parros on a blank puck. This was purely a cherry-picking pursuit, but other players, including Saku Koivu, Troy Bodie, Aaron Voros and Randy Carlyle were gracious to sign for other fans.

The only failed attempt was with Corey Perry, who replied with "I got you guys this morning." Not one to quibble, I thanked him anyway. In his defense, my wife and I were the only new faces who weren’t there earlier in the day, so I can understand how he could assume. However, there were only five of us there, total, that afternoon. No big deal. I figure I’ll get him on a Team Canada puck on the next visit.

Top row: Cam Fowler, George Parros and Bobby Ryan.
Middle row: Jonas Hiller, Teemu Selanne and Ryan Getzlaf.
Bottom: Teemu Selanne.

1 comment: