2.10.2011

Whole new world


By J.R.
Hockey Hounds Universe correspondent

What a contrast between hounding outings. The “big top” was gone, I didn't see anybody on the trapeze and, most importantly, there were no clowns present (although I did see a woman wearing really bad makeup rushing to work). The last time I hounded an NHL club was when the Buffalo Sabres were in San Jose to play the Sharks and it was a circus.

Fast forward a few weeks and you have a totally different atmosphere. Apparently, the Phoenix Coyotes don't have anybody on their roster worth arriving at the hotel before the morning skate. I say this because for quite some time I was the only person there.

Generally speaking, if someone affiliated with the opposing team wants to take a cab to the arena, a hotel employee stationed outside the lobby doors will call for them. A taxi then appears within a moment or two. However, head coach Dave Tippett and two other staff members walked over to where the cabs park.

I raced over to him and he signed three cards for me. After I thanked him, I noticed assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson about 15 paces behind Tippett. I bolted back to my bag to grab a puck, raced back to the taxi area and caught Samuelsson just in the nick of time. He signed it, but I unfortunately missed Sean Burke, who was behind him, and I didn't have another puck on my person.

Many minutes passed before another collector finally arrived at the hotel. We made small talk while waiting and he was disappointed to learn that the coaches had already left.

Soon after, Shane Doan came out of the hotel with six of his teammates. This is where having additional collectors on site could have helped, as we couldn't stop everybody. I had to make a quick judgment call and approached Doan, allowing his teammates to stroll to the bus parked on the street.

This was my first time meeting him and I can honestly say that he is the nicest player I have encountered thus far. He willingly signed a puck for me, a team photo for the other collector, then two cards for me. And he did it with a smile. Therefore, I tip my cap to you, Mr. Doan, for being such a fan-friendly player.

Other players to sign for me were Michal Rozsival, Kyle Turris and Jason LaBarbera.

As LaBarbara finished signing two cards for me, I noticed that television analyst Tyson Nash had already climbed the first two steps of the bus. I called him and he immediately turned around and signed a pair of cards. I also apologized for asking him to sign after technically being on the bus. He said it was not a problem and was glad to do it.

I am also glad I packed an extra Rangers puck just in case general manager Don Maloney made the trip to San Jose. He did and kindly signed the puck.

On the other hand, I must admit I did not recognize Keith Yandle (absolutely no excuse) and Ilya Bryzgalov (tiny excuse, he had a beard). Lee Stempniak also walked right past me while I was searching for something in my bag. Oh well.

All in all, it was a fun and relatively successful outing. Although I am sorry I did not see any elephants or "The Human Cannonball."

Signing pucks, shown at top, were:

Top row: Michal Rozsival and Shane Doan; and
Bottom row: Ulf Samuelsson and Don Maloney

Signing these cards were:

Top row: Dave Tippett; and
Bottom row: Kyle Turris and Shane Doan.

Also signing cards were Jason LaBarbera, top row, and Tyson Nash.

No comments:

Post a Comment